This transparency in #buildinpublic aims to share our learnings and open us up for feedback, in so allowing us to iterate and grow.
We welcome feedback of all types! Use whatever method you feel most comfort with 🙂
Thanks for joining us on this journey.
🍏 0.0.9 — Push to `main` ‣
- We skipped TestFlight and deployed to the app store link here, as we heard it’d take time to review and correct but passed first time. GG. now we are ramping up on development and try and get it ready for the new year hard launch. Help those who plan to start the year healthier.
- We plotted all over ideas down and wrote the roadmap.
- On platform.
- On the sesh.
- On fields
- Designed the ‘create account flow’
- 🕵️ Shared to SEO our website.
- Have all our recipes on web
- Defined framework for writing articles
- 🪦 SafeAreaView was acting up, we put an end to that
- 🏋🏽 Loading states for buttons sorted
- ⚡️ Django, improved the UX / UI for data engineer so we can be more efficient
- 🥫 CI/CD set up for both FE + BE
- 🏁 Kickstart refined
- ⚒️ Removed confirm page when adding ingredients
- 📇 File naming stuff, yawn.
- the design process in a gif.
🌏 0.0.8 — Bali off-site — ‣
- Amir in Bali with me now.
- We ate, gym’d, road tripped, made jewellery and just straight up vibed. (twitter thread)
- some picture:
- We are on TestFlight 🥳
- Onboarding the first set of people to use it and feedback, very humbling fr.
- Also side that we plotted all our ideas and defined roadmap.
- Evolved kitchen kickstart from left to right — introducing sections.
- Re-structured our IA
- System to organise feedback and progress (V1)
- Integrate bio text box to call backend ✍🏽
- Build an MVP of start cooking 🧑🏽🍳
- Implement some filtering for explore screen (and maybe some sorting too) 📂
- Show all recipes which can be made with ingredient in this page 📑
- Add content to the explore screen: Show most popular recipes + all recipes so they can be seen (MVP)
- "Window" components' - we'll remove the notification and share option for now 🪟
- UI change for like functionality (red fill?) + fix bug of indicating opposite stat
- Remove profile pic placeholder 🏞️
- turn dark mode off. (unrefined for now) 💡
- Different levels of kickstart 🦵🏽
- Expand Explore visibility 🧭
- Label for bottom tab section
- Data structure
- UI fixes, e.g. placeholder colour for bio text needs to be changed + spacing of components in that screen need adjustment
- Cut off long ingredient names in Ingredients tab.
Most of it all goes down on twitter, get at us on there.
🥊 0.0.7 — Warming up — ‣
- One step closer to the MVP. Honestly speaking it good to go now but we want to make it a bit more user friendly, dot those i’s, cross those t’s and round those corners you know. But in the spirit of ship and iterate quickly we’ll be looking into drawing a line and getting it on to testflight soon soon.
- Recipe screen got a revamp (full design process here)
- Updated the source of true:
- with all the updates of design from here and there:
- Implemented progress tracking system for MVP:
- Added storybook to better manager our design system ⚙️
- Set up EAS — so we can test the app on our phones
- Implemented missing ingredient functionality
- Implemented storybooks
- Our recipes, ingredients and other bits and bobs around data.
- Ingredient components
- Recipe components
- Divider plus some more
- Type errors here and there.
- Did some design in public
🚉 0.0.6 — Platformed — ‣
- We’ve got MVP done.
- Apple and Google let us in.
- We got put on betalist.com — helped grow our waiting list
- 🪄 Recipe discovery: We’ve made it easier to explore and find recipes
- 🔥 Kitchen kickstarter: the common ingredients most will have in their kitchen:
- 🕵️ Missing ingredients: you are missing in recipes.
- Notifications work, i’m making a new pattern — which i think my be a game changer… ⛳️
- Kickstart functionality implemented - kick the door to your kitchen wide open with Kickstart 🦿
- View and update expiration and purchase details of ingredients - getting us one step closer to reducing waste ♻️
- Support deletion of user inventories 🗑️
- New APIs: Support bulk creation of user inventories and enable deletion and updates to user inventory details
- Build the Buildlog page into our site: /buildlog
- Strict typescript type compliance on honestly everything 🤓
- Elevated our ingredient data quality. Neat some sweet sweet, high-quality data.
- Lightning fast user inventory creation through our dedicated and optimised endpoint ⚡
- Bug here and there.
- We got put on betalist.com
👷🏾 0.0.5 — Building — ‣
- Add common ingredients function
- Based on feedback:
- refined onboarding flow
- refined search
- refined add ingredient flow
- Integrate Add ingredients and confirm ingredients with API ⚙️
- Show added ingredient under the ingredient tab of Kitchen screen
- Implement ready-to-make, along with one/two/three more ingredients needed sections on home page 🍱
- Support liking and unliking recipes 💌
- Show liked/saved recipes under Cookbook tab of Kitchen
- Implemented coming soon state 🚧
- Onboarding flow restructured
- New internal tooling to allow us to refine our ingredients and recipes - watch out for some high quality recipe additions!
- Major rework of our Kitchen tab implementation to make it as fast as possible ⚡
- Profile picture
- Bio from Kitchen screen (not MVP)
- ProfileHero details
- As always fixed:
- Type issues 🤧
- Cleaned up dead code 🧹
- Squished some bugs 🐛
- Not much on this, it was a building week
🏃🏽♂️ 0.0.4 — Marathon — Oct 23, 2022
- MVP³ rn, we rimmed the fat again to get an even leaner Alpha.
- Registered as a company as we needed one for apple store submission, feels legit now. 🤯 mad.
- Competitor research
- Defined all over personas, and then targeted two to go after. 👽
- Defined roadmap. 🛣️
- Re-thought our searching flow, focusing on manual add for MVP.
- Functional add ingredients flow 🌊 - we can now add ingredients to our heart’s desire
- Confirmation page for selected ingredients
- We can now see all our ingredients in the Kitchen! 🍽️
- Skeleton for coming soon feature 🚧
- Loading state for all components
- Splash screen 💦
- Onboarding flow - fancy screens for when users open the app for the first time!
- Logout functionality 🔐
- Add [placeholder] Meal prep tab in the Kitchen
- Update kitchen screen to be a lot leaner - bio is not shown at the very top, and removed profile pic and hero section for now
- The enhanced initial state for Ready To Make on the home page
- Optimised Tab performance in Kitchen screen ⚡
- Simplified search function. 👀
- Lists were slow as 🔥, we solved that. This one was a tricky1.
- Not a lot here this week, you caught us lacking.
🐝 0.0.3 — Buzz — Oct 16, 2022
- Not a lot here as we’ve been head-down building but some general chats with some investors are a foot.
- Business model research
- MVP MVP defined.
- Implemented feedback
- Onboarding flow refined.
- Data, data, data 🗻 ⛏️ - we’ve been working hard on adding hundreds of ingredients and recipes to our platform! 🎉
- Skeleton state for all components: It’s spooky 👻 🎃 month, so we had to do something with skeletons
- Autocomplete search, now API powered 💪 - search your ingredients to your hearts desire and enjoy our blazing fast performance!
- See the most popular recipes on the littlecook platform!
- Stepper flow built:
- Build intro screens
- Ability to set your name and bio! Click on your name in the home or kitchen page and change your name and bio! Inline editing.
- 🚄 Streamlined user creation - we want to give as seamless of an experience as possible to our users. That means not requiring our users to login as much as possible. We’ve come up with some cool ideas here to allow us to do just that. You can still save recipes, and generate content, all without ever having to create an account!
- [Bulk] Add ingredients: We all love to add to ingredients so way not do it in a bulk and do it much faster?
- Design system; theme, type and buttons. Nice and consistency. 👍
- Shared a new idea of onboarding:
⛺️ 0.0.2 — Public — Oct 3, 2022
- Pitch deck done (finally but this shit was hard)
- Applied to 4 more accelerators
- Problem statement and solution expanded
- Copy refined
- Added up coming features
- Thank you page when signing up:
- Simple info collection.
- Avatar maker. (random based on a seed)
- 7 New Models implemented
- 8 New endpoints implemented
- Tooling to generate OpenAPI spec for our API + automatically create a client for the App
- Setup & Swagger interfaces for our APIs
- AWS services setup
- New Kitchen section icon
- More consistent theming colours
- littlecook.io landing page
- Updated to the new design
- Changed form provider
- Fixed Google vision receipt scan
- Enhanced Typescript definitions
- Resourced target audience location
- Wrote about pitch deck designs
- Learnt that swapping between discipline was way too big of a context switch, now dedicate one day to each.
- Grew waitlist but 50% — join @ littlecook.io